4.25.2005

This is the Street I Am Going to Live On Next Month



In the left corner you can see the white picket fence of the house I am going to rent. For a yet-to-be-determined amount of time. I am going to walk the dog until his legs fall off. Look at that! See the trees and the green, green grass that wants to grow of its own accord. Notice the lack of a gigantic yellow orb staring maniacally down from the sky, solely intent on burning holes through flesh and bone.

I get the big downstairs bedroom and an address in, well, Beaverton. Huh. Close to Portland, though - 10 minutes by train - and what the fuck, people - it's better than the 1,300 miles that separate me now. Plus having a home base will give me time to check out the urban environment and pick out a neighborhood that truly moves me. In the meantime, I'll soak up the quietude and dig my heels in re: looking for work and working on my writing. Because as all dreamy would-be novelists know, you need a muse. I think the relocation will do the trick quite nicely.

THIS IS SO SURREAL.

MOMENT OF CLARITY: Am I the world's biggest idiot? This is the most daring thing I've ever done. Not only cutting the security of house/job/friendship base here in Phoenix, but cutting the 34-year-old umbilical cord that binds me to my parents and trading it all in - at least for the short-term - for life with The Puppy. And SOON. In less than a month. I hope to be on the road May 19.

S - request some time off, pack your lipgloss and flip flops, and get ready to roll b/c I can be in LA Thursday evening and we can be on our way to Big Sur first thing Friday morning. Make it to Portland by Saturday night or Sunday morning if we dawdle.

Isn't this grand? It's not just daydreaming anymore.

I've had friends who moved to Chicago and NYC and San Fran and Japan, but little ole me has been stuck in the mud, knee-deep in Phoenix's hard, dry quicksand, watching helplessly as they started over in exotic locales.

Now I'm fucking outta here?!? It's too surreal.

And is there another word for surreal b/c surreal doesn't seem surreal enough. I can't think. My brainy no worky.

Going to go back to reading "A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius" because nothing else has a chance at taking my mind off myself. Dude.


Tell Me About It:
Congratulations on getting the house! Moving away from all the securities of friends/job etc. is hard but it wil be SO worth it!
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?