1.30.2005

Punk Rock Girl

Saw a great show last night - my first punk show in about 12 years. Lots of tattooed people smoking cigarettes and bumping into each other, lots of good, anthemy music. Avail was tremendous and I highly recommend donning your old Ramones t-shirt and seeing them live if they come to your town.

Our little group was comprised of me, the Puppy, his friend R the Hippie (a grad student in psychology who wore a t-shirt with a VW bus on it and a fleece jacket - this in a crowd where we counted three "Fuck Hippies" shirts - nice, that) and his friend X whom he has known since high school and has been battling cancer for a few years, and two of the Puppy's cousins, who were totally adorable and goofy as all get out. I had the best time in my lace-up boots, and of course the only other person outside of our motley crew that I talked to all night was some bespectacled married guy from outside LA who came with his wife to see the band. He reminded me of NYC D. Seriously, I have issues.

Afterward we hit a dive bar to play shuffleboard and infiltrate the rap-muddied jukebox with Billy Squier and Clash songs. Good times. Today I slept in, did some laundry, and watched "Night of the Comet" and "The World According to Garp" with the Pup. The former flick is a long-time favorite of mine. I can't even tell you how many times I've seen it, how horrible it is, and how much I love it. And Garp, well...it's another one of those twisted John Irving heartbreakers that leaves you at the end feeling like you don't even want to talk anymore that day. At least, that's what it does to me.

In other news, the Portland job people said they'd be in touch this week to set up an interview with the vice president of the company. I've made it since Tuesday without shitting myself too much about it. I have a lot riding on it, which kind of stinks b/c if I got it I'd be set up for a smooth transition and the ability to move almost immediately. If I don't get it, I have to start over...or consider asking my current employers how they feel about me telecommuting every day...from 1,500 miles away. Yikes.

Once again, if there's anyone out there paying attention, I ask for you to wish me luck.

I could use it, ya know?

ps: So the EH went snowboarding this weekend...and he went with one of the lesbians. Did I mention this already? I get to work Wednesday morning and there's this email from her saying "I don't want to lie to you...the EH heard me and my friends talking about Telluride and how we were trying to split costs and blah blah blah...I'm in a bad place right now...won't win the Nobel Prize for friendship..." On and on. Huh. I told the Pup and he was like "oh, they're definitely fucking," and despite the fact that I hadn't considered that possibility, that had no effect on me at all. A strange but good thing. Even stranger, I set the EH and the lesbian up years ago - before the marriage, and obviously, before she dabbled in Sapphic lurv, and I still think they'd make a pretty decent couple. They're both awfully tall, enjoy smoking weed, and not only tolerate, but enjoy The Indigo Girls. I mean, come on! (Let's not ponder what I was doing with him, but I will give you this: at the beginning, he followed me around a lot. And how i LURV being in charge...)

Bottom line: at least somebody (might be) getting laid, because it most certainly is not me!!! Margaret Cho (who is only remotely funny) used to do this bit about how hard-up she was...she was so hard up that she was considering digging a hole in the ground, covering herself up with leaves, and waiting for someone to fall in... I'm not quite there yet, but I'm damn close, kids. Damn close. I think my woman-parts might turn to dust and blow away if I don't give them a spin around the block now and again. My main problem, however, is that I have no takers.

Anyone? Anyone? Bueller? Bueller?

Help me.

Tell Me About It:
Nah...they're probably not doing it. But it would be something if they weren't wouldn't it???
 
oh honey, you are not alone: i am not getting laid either...and everyone around me is [suddenly] all loved up and happily coupled. i've become the friend couples now allow to "tag along" with them. nice, isn't it?
 
Good luck on that Portland thing - I've got my fingers crossed for you.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?