12.11.2004

This is Getting to be a Problem

I'm addicted to buying handbags. Like in a really demented way. I won't swoop on just anything, but when I see "the one" I am powerless to resist. If I had a digital camera I'd post photos of the two I bought today. Both vintage, both 60s. Both around $20, so I can't feel too bad about it. But this is after my mortgage broker said "stop shopping." Whoopsie.

Why am I blogging right now...oh right, to announce that I have now seen everything. I'm watching "Trekkies 2" (loved the first one) and the filmmakers went to Germany to a Star Trek convention. German Klingons...need I say more? That is disturbing for about a thousand different reasons, but the apex fan had to be the Klingon Santa: he only gives toys to naughty children. ...I'm either very afraid of this man, or gosh darnit, I'm in love!

They also visited other European countries, including France, where they hung out at a Star Trek Quiche Party.

"Trekkies 2" doesn't have the charm of the first one and is really kind of pointless unless you want to see what happened to Gabe, but it's worth renting just for a 5-minute bit about 40-year-old fat men who made a Star Trek movie - that took place in the Old West. I won't say any more, but I will give you this: "I don't know what kind of goat-show justice you people run here, but it's wrong! It's wrong!"

I'm actually not sure about the "goat show" part...I have a tough time with the Minnesota accents...

What else? Got up early today and cleaned my apartment, stopped by my parents' house, went to the gym, had a run-in with a Cougar... this tiny woman in tight sweats and a baseball cap came rushing up to me in the parking lot and demanded, "Where is Costco near here?" It took a few seconds for her words to register...here I was, in my gym clothes, and a Cougar was accosting me! Not wanting to suffer her crazed wrath, I sloooooowly told her, um, where she should go. (To CostCo, natch.) It was just so rude - no "excuse me," no "hello," just in-my-face Whereiscostconearhere?!? I was stunned.

(Oh jeeze, these Star Trek people are so serious. "I am not a Trekkie. I am a Trekker." Calm down, Grandma!)

So the Puppy just stopped by - he just can't get enough of this old biddie! Ha ha. He wanted to use my computer & he was just down the street. He had asked me if I wanted him to bring me lunch but I had just eaten Cheerios. Sucks! So the Puppy has an 8-year-old son (ah, foolish youth - this is why there are so many Mormons, people!) and brought him along. The kid is precious. Precocious, too, and thankfully old enough for me to talk to. My brother is a natural with kids - they think he's hilarious. I'm more of a stick-in-the-mud. I ask them questions like, "So, how does it feel to be 5?" Oof.

(Why do Trekkies have such creepy haircuts?)

Anyhoo, the Puppy said he'd call later to talk me out of the Pi Phi Festa. I have to say, it sounds pretty tempting. An evening laughing my ass off, drinking brandy and coke on the Puppy's couch...or an evening of sucking in my gut and making pinched smiley faces at 33-year-old sorority girls. Yeesh.

(Another aside: it's a beautiful day in the neighborhood, and all my windows are open. Every old person who lives in my building is out today, taking in the sun, shuffling down the pathways to the mailboxes...and all of them are bent over. It's enormously sad. But kind of lovely, too. I think that if I get old and lonely I'll come back to these apartments to live out my final days. Me and my walker...a first-floor apartment...maybe I'll even get a cat. Ah, yes, that will be sweet.)

So it's 7:45 and I just got back from the Puppy's. He called about an hour after he left and asked if I wanted to come over. And since my social calendar is so full.. he made me albondigas soup and we watched Citizen Kane. He fell asleep on the sofa so I left him a note and closed the door quietly behind me. HERE COMES THE SAPPY; Spending QT with the Puppy is finally making me realize that I probably am ready for a new crush. Not the Puppy - errbody calm down! - but I can see how it would be nice to spend this kind of time with somebody that would do all the calling, the emailing, the laughing and the mocking of television, and then put his arm around my waist and give me warm, wet smooches...sigh. And he has to like Built to Spill, Strangers with Candy and acting childishly at times in an increasingly grown-up world.

...wha??? Too much to ask???

Tell Me About It:
I will so be there in April! Batten down the hatches and alert the sushi chefs!
and yes, Pi Phis. A whole passel of them. I am so happy that I opted for "Citizen Kane" and soup.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?