11.21.2004

More Cowbell!

I wouldn't recommend sex, drugs or insanity for everyone, but they've always worked for me. Hunter S. Thompson (1939-)


just got home from wilco - amazing, btw. despite my previous misgivings, i must say that the band was TIGHT. after playing a bunch of tunes from Yankee Hotel Foxtrot, Summerteeth and A Ghost is Born (minus Heavy Metal Drummer and Passenger Side - bastards!) - they finished off with a cover of "don't fear the reaper" and it was genius. we thought they were kidding at first. everyone kept yelling, "more cowbell!" but by the bridge it was evident that wilco was ser-ee-ous. and so, so good. wound up next to Tweedy's sister - um, she looks like my mom - and she was adorable. very excited to see her brother so adored. I said to her, "i thought my brother was awesome because he can rollerskate backward...you win."

anyhoo, so tonight i had my fill of underage indie boys...who for some reason thought that me in a gray cashmere cardigan, long jeans and pointed pumps was like a hot grandma or something. oof. i did meet a potential puppy who bought me a vodka tonic and played human steamroller through the crowd to get me and the girlies to the front of the stage. he will be 30 on dec. 12 - the perfect puppy age - but he's a republican. what??? i wasn't having it. and i don't want to talk to jailbait anymore....what has happened to me? ha.

i knew that i was totally done with the evening when two youngsters sauntered up to our table at casey moore's, the bar we hit post-wilco. i was watching them looking at me and my girlfriends, andit was so predictable when one of them did that whole "what did you say?" routine. i just wanted to be like, "oh, kiddo, pointless! move on!" anyhoo, one wound up trying to talk up my friend b/c they were both from st louis, and the other one was like "what do you want to talk about?" and i said, "i want to talk about how i'm going to go home in a minute." and he was like "i just like to talk about what interests people. what interests you?" blah blah blah. so i said, "you're sweet, but you only ask that b/c you're 12. what are you, like 23 or something?" turns out that yes, he just turned 23. and i said, "that's why you want to talk. wait til you're 33, tired and bitter. you'll just want to go the fuck home."

he was cute, too, in a very jock way. big shoulders, perfectly fitted sweatshirt, small ears, big white teeth. but then again, NO. i felt like a chaperone. what were all these children doing out so late???

wilco was amazing. did i already say that? but all i wanted was to drive home with a guy who would be as excited about Ted Leo + the Pharmacists as I am.

Tell Me About It:
what happened here? somebody take away yo color.
 
i burned out on the baby-puke green. still looking for a cool template - the blogger ones are so dull. case in point.
 
All the doggin on young republicans cuts me deep. :)
 
You know, I should let up on that. I'm still bitter over the election and have to learn to let it go. I'm as married to my opinions as young Republicans are to theirs. As Jeff Tweedy said last night, "Red state, blue state - we're all people." ...can't we all just get along? Yes, we can - if we don't talk politics. xoxo
 
I don't want to play Mommy. ...but I wouldn't mind having a "Daddy"!!!
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?