11.08.2004

Mmm, the Wine Does Go Well with the Chicken

So I'm 33 years old, and having lunch every day at my parents' house. Is something wrong with this picture?

Mainly it's for two reasons:

1. I would just shop for shoes if I didn't go there, since I (weirdly) am not a big fan of going out to lunch. (Love going out to breakfast and dinner, so there you go.)

2. I won't get a paycheck until Nov. 19, and then only for 8 days of work. Then not another one until Dec. 2. So the good news is that I'll have three delicious paychecks in December. The bad news is that I have like 75 cents to my name until then. My dad has a PO Box. I'll happily supply the address if you'd like to send donations. I like dark chocolate, expensive handbags and Vietnamese food. Do with that what you will.

Oh, and then there's this: the Estranged Hubby and I (I almost didn't call him estranged!) are at this amazing new juncture where we make each other happy again. (Editor's note, two days later: Pathetically, i just remembered that the last person I said "we make each other happy" about was the Puppy, who wrote me off for a spiral into self-destruction and cocaine use. Good times.) He invited me to a barbecue at his brother's house, and I invited him to the holiday party for my new job. (I need him as a chaperone, natch.) And emotionally it seems that we're over the hump (but not the humping) and have finally been able to put past hurts where they belong - in the past - and consider a new future together, starting from where we are now. I never thought we'd get here. We've even talked about moving me back into the house when my apartment lease is up...and then, there's this: the lesbian folk singers broke up, and one of them is moving to L.A. She was going to take her motorhome with her, but last-minute got an invitation to crash at a friend's place. Which means the motorhome stays in Phoenix. But here's the twist: either A) the girl who is staying doesn't want the Winnie parked in front of her house anymore, or B) the L.A.-bound girl doesn't feel comfortable leaving it there, SO IT'S NOW PARKED AT MY HOUSE.

Yes, kids, if I move home, I will move to the Ozarks. Next up, a sofa for the front lawn! What say?

And just as an aside...yesterday I finished off the fabbo (as D would say) weekend with two tremendous viewings:

1. “Sideways,” with Paul Giamatti, one of my favorite actors. It was hilarious and touching and grown-up - not at all my usual fare! But thanks to my mail-in movies I'm branching out, and have gained an appreciation for flicks that use multi-syllabic words and don't throw in emaciated girls with implants every 5 minutes to keep the man-viewers alert. Plus my parents bought me a ticket. If they had bought me a ticket to "Team America" I would have seen that, too. So there you go.

2. “The Times of Harvey Milk,” an account of the powerful effect that one man’s briefly held seat in San Francisco city government had on every minority in the city in the early 70s. It was heart-wrenching and a must-see for anyone who – like me – can forget that civil rights aren’t a given.

And speaking of civil rights!!! I just this moment found out that Bush is reinstating a commission that has been out of commission for a number of years. It's the FDA's Reproductive Health Drugs Advisory Committee. The main guy is Dr. W. David Hager, author of "As Jesus Cared for Women: Restoring Women Then and Now," a "book that blends biblical accounts of Christ healing women with case studies from Hager's practice." He's "a practicing OBGYN who is pro-life and refuses to prescribe contraceptives to unmarried women." And, here's one that I can't help but share: he believes that women who are suffering from PMS need to find relief from READING THE BIBLE AND PRAYING. Do I even need to comment? Oh, but I so need to visit this dude's office when I am PMS-ing! I guaranfuckingtee that I can change his mind about praying for relief...

And there's more sizzling juice about this enlightened, open-minded forward-looking motherfucker, but I can't repeat it without being violently puketastic all over this keyboard.

Be afraid, girls. Be very, very afraid.


Tell Me About It:
Paycheck lag at a new job is THE WORST! Luckily they keep us a couple of paychecks behind so I'll have two more coming to me when I change jobs after I graduate in December.

I saw the preview for Sideways in front of Napolean Dynamite a while back and have really been looking forward to seeing it. "Were going to fun. Do you remember fun?" Alexander Payne also did Election which was hilarious!!
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?