10.04.2004

Weekend de los Muertos

So despite huge plans for debauchery and good times, nothing went down as i expected it to this weekend. Friday night I went with my parents to a Dia de los Muertos sale/cocktail hour at this funky store downtown. (Well, actually it was "midtown." Phoenix's downtown is trying SO HARD to make something of itself, which I fully support, but overall it's a sizzling concrete jungle with no escape at hand from the broiling sun. The entire city needs a giant shade-screen over it - like at a plant nursery. Or else some damn trees! Trees, anyone? Can we plant a few in those land-squashing oceans you call parking lots? I don't want to get into a hot car after my long day at Petsmart. Thank you.) My mom bought me a dead bride and groom. According to Day of the Dead folklore, the skeletal couple should bring good luck. In fact, people often give them as wedding presents in Mexico. good stuff. I seriously doubt it will bring me anything except another chochke that needs dusting, but I love it. It says all that needs to be said.

After that it was delish Indian food with the 'rents and my brother. It was an epic get-together, and for no reason at all. Some of the best laughs I've ever had have been with my family. It's a tough act to follow.

Saturday's wedding was very sweet, and the bride looked bootiful. Ye Olde Estranged Hubby seemed to not notice that we were at a wedding, since he was busy thinking about packing for his trip to LA on Sunday morning with the lesbian band that adopted him. I was getting all bleary-eyed over what the priest said about how love is for overcoming obstacles and whatnot, and EH stood there stoic and unreadable. I asked if he was thinking about all the shit he still had to do before his trip, and the answer - surprise - was yes. Anyhoo, I saw a bunch of people that I used to work with so that was AWFUL. However, there was one girl who I adore swapping gossip with, so I dropped off The Estranged Hubbity after the nuptials and met her at Dick's Hideaway for bloody marys. There is something deeply comforting about a bar called Dick's Hideaway. Don't you agree?

btw: I need to get the hell out of this town. I need to run screaming from it like my ass is on fire. If - and this is a stretch - anyone is reading this...if anyone reading this knows of a job/contact in Portland for a talented and modest editor/journalist/marketing type, please drop me a line. And thank you for your support.


Tell Me About It:
I went to a wedding this past weekend too! What a coincidence?! Ok so not really.

Deeply comforting indeed. You know, the thing about Phoenix is...its a dry heat. Don't you just love when people say that? Like somehow it discounts the fact that your skin is dripping from your body while you walk 30ft across a parking lot to your car! In your case, the Petsmart parking lot.
 
Yeah, I'm not really a Petsmart shopper, as I currently don't have a pet. (The Estranged Hubbity has custody of the dog.) It was just an example of the way most consumer-minded Phoenicians spend their time. If not Petsmart, then the Nordstrom Rack, any Bed, Bath, Beyond and More-type store, various Marts, Targets, chain restaurants. Yep, Phoenix. It's where people come to be bland.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?